Legislation LINZ Administers
LINZ is responsible for administering legislation for New Zealand's land and seabed. The following Acts and other legislation are administered by the department.
Legislation administered by LINZ
You can read a full description of each Act on the New Zealand Legislation website.
- Cadastral Survey Act 2002
- Crown Grants Act 1908
- Crown Pastoral Land Act 1998
- Deeds Registration Act 1908
- Hunter Gift for the Settlement of Discharged Soldiers Act 1921
- Land Act 1948
- Land Transfer Act 1952
- Land Transfer (Computer Registers and Electronic Lodgement) Amendment Act 2002
- New Zealand Geographic Board Act 2008
- Public Works Act 1981
- Rating Valuations Act 1998
- Reserves and Other Lands Disposal Acts
- Valuation Department (Restructuring) Act 1998
- Valuers Act 1948
LINZ also has functions under a number of other Acts. These include:
Land acquisition and network utility operators
The Chief Executive has statutory functions under the Public Works Act relating to the disposal of surplus land. This disposal function can arise for land held by other agencies under various Acts such as:
- Airport Authorities Act 1966
- Crown Research Institutes Act 1992
- Health Sector (Transfers) Act 1993
- New Zealand Railways Corporation Act 1981
- State-Owned Enterprises Act 1986
- Treaty of Waitangi (State Enterprises) Act 1988
The four statutory officers are:
- Commissioner of Crown Lands
- Registrar-General of Land
- Surveyor-General (also Chairperson of the New Zealand Geographic Board)
- Valuer-General (also Chairperson of the Valuers Registration Board).
The Registrar-General of Land and the Surveyor-General have special responsibilities relating to land transactions under more than 50 statutes.