LINZ's emissions inventory and reduction plan is part of the Carbon Neutral Public Service programme.
What is the Carbon Neutral Public Service?
The Carbon Neutral Public Service programme aims to demonstrate government leadership on sustainability by reducing government's environmental impact.
It will do this by making the 34 core public service agencies carbon neutral. The six lead agencies will be carbon neutral by 2012, with the other 28 agencies, of which LINZ is one, being on the path to carbon neutrality by 2012.
How does the programme work?
The programme involves a three-step process:
- measuring the greenhouse gas emissions from each agency's activities
- reducing those emissions
- offsetting remaining emissions by undertaking projects to remove an equivalent amount of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere or prevent it being released.
All 34 agencies will complete an annual emissions inventory, develop an emissions reduction plan for their organisation and implement the actions in their plans.
The programme will use New Zealand-based projects to offset the greenhouse gas emissions that cannot be avoided after emissions reduction activities have taken place.
LINZ's emissions inventory & reduction plan
LINZ is one of the government agencies taking part in the Carbon Neutral Public Service programme.
You can find our emissions inventory and reduction plan for 2006/07 below.
- Emissions Inventory Report - signed and submitted to the Ministry for the Environment on 28 November 2007.
- Emissions Reduction Plan - the Reduction Plan will be updated as required.
Highlights from our emissions inventory and reduction plan are that:
- LINZ will implement a travel plan to reduce our emissions from air travel and travel in rental cars and taxis. This currently accounts for 24.22 percent of our emissions
- we will implement an energy efficiency plan to reduce energy usage in all our offices. The focus of this will be on the scope 2 emissions, which are 20.17 percent of the overall 36.96 percent of energy emissions
- we will conduct annual waste audits for all our offices and ensure implementation of processes to reduce our waste to landfill.