- Charts & Hydrographic Services
- Crown Property
- Geodetic System
- Search for Geodetic Marks
- PositioNZ network
- Datums, projections & heights
- Geodetic datums
- Vertical datums
- Coordinate & height accuracy
- NZGD2000 frequently asked questions
- Coordinate conversion
- Geodetic control network development, maintenance & protection
- Standards, Specifications & Publications
- Download geodetic software
- Maps & Topographic Services
- New Zealand Geospatial Office
- Overseas Investment Office
- Place Names
- Property Addressing
- Survey & Titles
- About LINZ
You are here
World Geodetic System 1984 (WGS84)
The World Geodetic System 1984 (WGS84) is the datum used by the Global Positioning System (GPS). The datum is defined and maintained by the United States National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA). Coordinates computed from GPS receivers are likely to be provided in terms of the WGS84 datum and the heights in terms of the WGS84 ellipsoid.
A technical description of the WGS84 datum is provided on the NGA website.
Find out more
For geodetic system
- Geodesy in New Zealand
- About trig stations & geodetic marks
- Understanding datums & projections
- Using maps with different projections
- GPS in New Zealand
- LINZ Data Service
The refreshed LINZ website will be here soon.
You’ll still be able to access the same information, but you’ll notice a change in the design and layout of the site.
Read more about the changes.