- Charts & Hydrographic Services
- Crown Property
- Geodetic System
- Maps & Topographic Services
- New Zealand Geospatial Office
- Overseas Investment Office
- Place Names
- Property Addressing
- Survey & Titles
- About LINZ
You are here
NZGB Naming Rules, Criteria, Standards, Guidelines & Policies
The New Zealand Geographic Board Ngā Pou Taunaha o Aotearoa (NZGB) weighs the information, evidence and views on name proposals and submissions against these rules, criteria, standards, guidelines and policies.
Interim Standards for Place Names
When the NZGB considers proposals to assign, amend, approve, alter or discontinue official names, it does so in accordance with the criteria specified in the following interim standards:
- Interim standard for undersea feature names NZGBS60000
- Standard for Crown Protected Area names NZGBS60001
Interim standards for other areas of naming (New Zealand terrestrial names and Antarctic names) will be published in due course. Until they are available, the frameworks document below will continue to be referred to as the NZGB's authoritative source of toponymic guidelines for those types of names.
Interim standards have been issued for expediency and to provide submitters with clarity around how their proposals will be evaluated by the NZGB. Once all of the interim standards have been published, the NZGB intends to review their content and replace them with a combined standard. The development of the combined standard will follow the LINZ standard setting process which includes public consultation. For more information contact the New Zealand Geographic Board.
The NZGB compiled its statutory, policy and operational statements into the Frameworks of the New Zealand Geographic Board Ngā Pou Taunaha o Aotearoa April 2014 Version 6 (PDF 1.6MB), which applies to the New Zealand Geographic Board (Ngā Pou Taunaha o Aotearoa) Act 2008.
Note: The standards and guidelines within this document evolved over the NZGB's long history and had been modified to reflect modern developments and trends. Policies and practices will continue under the New Zealand Geographic Board (Ngā Pou Taunaha o Aotearoa) Act 2008.
Requirements for Geographic Name Proposals
The following requirements are to be applied by the Chairperson for formally receiving or returning standard Geographic Name Proposals for processing.
- Checklist of Required Information to Assist with Proposals Meeting Minimum Requirements (pdf 69KB)
- Policy on Minimum Requirements for Geographic Name Proposals (pdf 90KB)
Protocol for Māori Place Names - DRAFT December 2010
- Protocol for Māori Place Names (PDF 91KB) - as developed under the New Zealand Geographic Board (Ngā Pou Taunaha o Aotearoa) Act 2008.
Guidelines for dialogue with Tangata Whenua
- Guidelines for Dialogue by the New Zealand Geographic Board Ngā Pou Taunaha o Aotearoa with Tangata Whenua (PDF 132KB) - confirmed by the Board on 3 August 2010.
Protocol for Undersea Feature Naming
- NZGBS60000 Interim standard for undersea feature names
- NZGBS60001 Interim standard for Crown protected area names
- Frameworks of the New Zealand Geographic Board Ngā Pou Taunaha o Aotearoa October 2010 Version 3 (PDF 1.4MB)
- Protocol for Māori Place Names (PDF 91KB)