- Charts & Hydrographic Services
- Crown Property
- Geodetic System
- Maps & Topographic Services
- New Zealand Geospatial Office
- Overseas Investment Office
- Place Names
- Property Addressing
- Survey & Titles
- About LINZ
You are here
- New name for a feature not named
- final determinationon this place name published in the New Zealand Gazette on 5 November 2009, and in relevant newspapers shortly after.
Strait at 77° 55’ S Latitude, 166° 45’ E Longitude. Tidal flow south-west and north-east, between Cape Armitage on Ross Island at north and Cape Spencer-Smith on White Island at south, lying under the permanent McMurdo Ice Shelf. Williams Airfield and Pegasus Airfield are located above the ice. Depicted on: Hydrographic chart NZ14900; topographic maps (1:250,000): ‘Ross Island and Vicinity’; NZMS166 ST58-61/5 McMurdo Sound; NZMS166 ST58-61/9 Mt Discovery; USGS ST57-60/6 Ross Island; USGS ST57-60/10 Mount Discovery.
You can read the Haskell Strait Place Name Proposal Report (pdf 400KB - also available in HTML), which was considered the New Zealand Geographic Board Ngā Pou Taunaha o Aotearoa (NZGB) at its meeting on 16 September 2009. The report includes a printable map.
View Haskell Strait in a larger map