- Charts & Hydrographic Services
- Crown Property
- Geodetic System
- Maps & Topographic Services
- New Zealand Geospatial Office
- Overseas Investment Office
- Place Names
- Property Addressing
- Survey & Titles
- About LINZ
Recent NZGB Decisions
The New Zealand Geographic Board Ngā Pou Taunaha o Aotearoa (NZGB) meets regularly to assign, approve, alter, discontinue, approve, or validate the use of names for geographic features (eg. place names), undersea features and Crown protected areas in New Zealand, its offshore islands and its continental shelf and the Ross Sea region of Antarctica.
All decisions are published in the New Zealand Gazette. You can view NZGB Gazetted Notices online or review the most recent determinations below.
If you are looking for names currently open for public consulation, please go to the list of current place name proposals.
NZGB place name determinations
- 28 August 2014 (Altered, Discontinued and Approved Official Geographic Names, Proposed Assigned or Altered Geographic Names, Proposed Discontinued Geographic Name).
- 21 August 2014 (Corrigendum for 2 Antarctic names).
- 7 August 2014 (Official new and altered Geographic names, and discontinued CPA names for Treaty of Waitangi Settlements for: Ngāti Apa ki te Rā Tō, Ngāti Kuia, Rangitāne o Wairau, Ngāti Kōata, Ngāti Rārua, Ngāti Tama ki Te Tau Ihu, Te Ātiawa o Te Waka-a-Māui and Ngati Toa Rangatira.
- 31 July 2014 (Corrigendum for 1 New Zealand and 3 Antarctic names)
- 3 July 2014 (Tapuika Treaty of Waitangi Settlement)
- 12 June 2014 (Ngāti Rangiwewehi Treaty of Waitangi Settlement)
- 5 June 2014 (Official Geographic, Proposal, Discontinued, Undersea, Official Antarctica)
- 12 December 2013 (Minister's Determinations, Official NZ)
- 14 November 2013 (Proposals, Approved, Discontinued, Undersea)
- 17 October 2013 (Minister's Determination for North Island, Te Ika-a-Māui, South Island and Te Waipounamu, and Board Decision for Paekākāriki Hill)
- 3 October 2013 (Official Antarctic)
- 29 August 2013 (Proposal, Official Undersea, Official Antarctic, Discontinued)
- 25 July 2013 (Waitaha and Ngāti Whātua o Kaipara Treaty of Waitangi Settlement)
- 20 June 2013 (Minister’s Determinations, Official NZ)