Dataset of Names
This dataset is an extract of named features and places derived from the New Zealand Place Names Database. Many of the names are unofficial (ie not assigned by the New Zealand Geographic Board Ngā Pou Taunaha o Aotearoa (NZGB)). Similarly, not all official names are in the topographic data.
Official names are listed in the New Zealand Gazetteer of Official Geographic Names.
Note that maintenance of the database, previously known as New Zealand Geographic Place Names database, ended on 31 October 2008.
About the dataset
The dataset is managed by LINZ. Users should be aware of the following features:
- the dataset is a set of delimited text tables
- place names were captured for the labelling of text on the 1:50,000 Topographic 260 Map Series
- coordinates were digitised at the bottom left corner of text labels
- coordinates are not a GPS position for the geographic location of the feature
- macrons for Māori names are not included due to technical limitations. The NZGB has compiled a list of official names with macrons to assist in mapping, charting, signage, reporting, legislation, or other official documents.
How to download the dataset
The dataset can be downloaded as a zip file with four text files (the tables) in ASCII delimited text format and basic documentation in HTML format. Before you download the dataset, please read the conditions and disclaimer on database use & specifications. Once you have downloaded the dataset read the "readme.html" file first.
|Dataset of New Zealand Topographic Names
|6 August 2008|
Find out about other LINZ datasets.