- Charts & Hydrographic Services
- Crown Property
- Geodetic System
- Maps & Topographic Services
- New Zealand Geospatial Office
- Overseas Investment Office
- Place Names
- Property Addressing
- Survey & Titles
- About LINZ
You are here
FIND OUT MORE... Researching Names
For help researching names, try some of the following resources:
- the Frameworks of the New Zealand Geographic Board document (available in the NZGB's naming rules, criteria, standards, guidelines and policies)
- the online lists, databases or paper archives detailed in help finding names
- Māori names research tips and information
- NZGB maps and publications
- previous decisions made by the NZGB, listed in the public notices archive, or in the New Zealand Gazette and in the New Zealand Gazetteer of Official Geographic Names
- the A-Z index of recent official name proposals & decisions, which in some cases include the submission reports for names
- the Department of Conservation for Crown protected areas, such as parks and reserves
- the Office of Treaty Settlements for Treaty settlement names
- local councils
- local Māori authorities.
The refreshed LINZ website will be here soon.
You’ll still be able to access the same information, but you’ll notice a change in the design and layout of the site.
Read more about the changes.