The New Zealand Gazetteer of Place Names (the Gazetteer) holds all official names for features within the New Zealand Geographic Board’s coverage. It also has other types of unofficial names, such as recorded and collected names.
For each official name the Gazetteer includes, but is not limited to:
- official name or unofficial name status
- for an official name, the gazette or statutory reference
- the type of feature or place, for example, town, mountain etc
- position reference (latitude and longitude)
- a description of the feature, when available
- the extent of the feature, when available.
Find out more about the NZGB's roles and responsibilities in naming places and geographic features.
Alternatively, you can download information in the Gazetteer to a CSV file (note: may take 10-20 seconds to start download as approx. 13MB) or customise it to a GIS format using LINZ Data Service place names data. You can also download Māori place names with macrons.
Names not in the New Zealand Gazetteer
Some New Zealand place names may not be in the Gazetteer. However, there is a range of other sources of information about place names. Get help finding names.