- Charts & Hydrographic Services
- Crown Property
- Geodetic System
- Maps & Topographic Services
- LINZ topographic maps
- Topographic data
- Publications & other resources
- Topographic specifications
- Aerial images & orthophotos
- National Imagery Coordination
- Imagery Available on Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 New Zealand Licence
- Imagery Acquisition Register
- Index of New Zealand Transverse Mercator 2000 (NZTM2000) Geo-referenced Orthophotos
- Index of New Zealand Map Grid (NZMG) Non Geo-referenced Orthophotos
- Christchurch earthquake imagery
- Index of Darwin Glacier Lambert Conformal Conic 2000 (DGLC2000) geo-referenced orthophotos
- Historic aerial imagery scanning project
- Map Chooser
- New Zealand Geospatial Office
- Overseas Investment Office
- Place Names
- Property Addressing
- Survey & Titles
- About LINZ
Imagery & Orthophotos
Land information New Zealand has the role of Steward for Imagery, one of the fundamental data themes identified by the New Zealand Geospatial Office. As part of this role LINZ is developing a National Imagery Coordination Programme. more...
This register identifies the most recent aerial imagery that is available on a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 New Zealand Licence. more...
This register identifies potential public sector imagery acquisition campaigns. more...
From 1937 to 2005 LINZ and its predecessors, Lands & Survey and Department of Survey and Land Information (DOSLI), commissioned aerial photography for the Crown to use in mapping and database maintenance. With advances in satellite technology, aerial photography is no longer commissioned.
LINZ has made available via the LINZ Data Service:
- Crown imagery archive photo extents, including aerial photography and orthophotos commissioned by Lands & Survey, DOSLI and LINZ.
- LINZ Orthophotos commissioned between 1994 and 2006.
The Crown Aerial Film Negative Collection is now managed by New Zealand Aerial Mapping Limited.
LINZ’s historic imagery scanning project seeks to digitise the Crown aerial imagery archive in the interest of long term preservation, easier access, and better use of this valuable national resource.
KiwImage was an All of Government project to capture accurate, high resolution imagery of New Zealand and the Offshore Islands. KiwImage was purchased on an All of Government licence and is now available to all Government Agencies, Territorial & Regional Authorities, State Owned Enterprises (SOE), Emergency Services, Crown Research Institutes, and Universities. more...
Digital orthophotos, derived from aerial photography, show terrain at a constant scale. Image displacements caused by camera tilt and terrain relief are corrected.
LINZ publishes orthophotos of New Zealand from its archive. The New Zealand orthophotos shown are historical and no further orthophotos of New Zealand will be published.
- Index of New Zealand Transverse Mercator 2000 (NZTM2000) geo-referenced orthophotos
NZTM2000 is the current projection, however the available orthophoto coverage is limited.
- Index of New Zealand Map Grid (NZMG) non geo-referenced orthophotos
This projection has been superceded by NZTM2000, however the available orthophoto coverage is greater.
Access aerial imagery, captured on 24 February 2011, of the area affected by the earthquake that struck Christchurch on 22 February 2011. more...
LINZ also has some Antarctic orthophotos, obtained through satellite imagery, available for download. These were commissioned by LINZ as part of the production of map data for the Darwin Glacier region of the Ross Sea.