Consultation is open between 26 June and 26 August 2020 for you to have your say on the New Zealand Geographic Board’s three new standards:
- Standard for New Zealand place names (PDF 4MB)
- Standard for Antarctic place names (PDF 4MB), and
- Standard for altering Region and District names (PDF 4MB).
The aim of the standards is to provide guidelines for people making a place name proposal, and to help the NZGB achieve quality and consistency in its decision making.
We’ve simplified the existing information into three separate standards – the naming criteria has not changed.
How to make a submission
You can make a submission online.
You may also email your submission to NZGBsubmissions@linz.govt.nz.
While we prefer to get online or emailed submissions, you can also post your feedback to:
The NZGB Secretary
PO Box 5501
You can also request printed copies of the documents from this address.
What to include in your email or post submissions
Make sure you include:
- the title of the document you are commenting on
- your name and contact details (phone number, address, and email)
- your organisation’s name (if you are submitting on behalf of an organisation, and whether your submission represents the whole organisation or a section of it)
Once consultation closes the NZGB consider all of the submissions it has received, taking into account all relevant and available information.
Protecting your privacy
Once the NZGB receives your submission it becomes a public record and can be released under Official Information Act requests. Your contact details will not be released without your consent. See the Official Information Act 1982