To encourage the community’s engagement with the residential red zones, anyone can apply to use the land on a temporary basis. This could include short, one-off events, or projects running for up to five years.

As landowner of Crown-owned red zone land, LINZ can agree short-term leases and licences of this land under section 91 (1)(b) of the Greater Christchurch Regeneration Act 2016. This responsibility will progressively transfer to Christchurch City Council (CCC) as part of the Global Settlement Agreement, once the land is transferred.

Global Settlement Agreement finalised

As part of the transition to local leadership and to increase community involvement in activating the red zones, Te Tira Kāhikuhiku – the Red Zones Transformative Land Use Group – has been established to provide advice and recommendations to LINZ and CCC on applications for temporary land-use initiatives.

Temporary land uses have proven an important regeneration tool in Christchurch and since 2016 LINZ has made red zone land available to community groups and organisations for over 130 short-term projects or events.

Once CCC owns the land, it will be responsible for determining whether existing leases or licences expire, or whether any transitional land use agreements will be carried over. 

See below for further tips, helpful advice and requirements including public liability insurance for any transitional land use.

For more information, email or call 0800 665 463.

Recent activities

Projects – Up to 5 years

Radio controlled trucks

A group has built a temporary track for their radio-controlled trucks and diggers.

Community Gardens

Community groups have successfully established community gardens for the locals to plant and harvest vegetables and meet for social events.


Beekeepers are using the RRZ with its abundance of fruit trees to strengthen the local bee population. Image:CCC Newsline


Events - One- or two-day activities


Christchurch City Council, sports clubs and community groups use the red zone for festivals, concerts and other community events. Image: Polyfest Christchurch 2020

Sports events

The RRZ is used by sports groups for events like bike races and orienteering. 

Eco sourcing

Environmental groups use the RRZ to source native plant seeds to regenerate native vegetation in the RRZ.


List of current uses (PDF, 117KB)

Map of current approved uses (PDF, 1.35MB)

What about permanent land uses?

Any enquiries or requests to use the land on a permanent basis are subject to a different process, led by CCC.

For enquiries or requests about permanent use contact CCC:

Decisions on short-term activities do not signal any intentions or decisions about permanent land use.  LINZ can only approve temporary land uses.  

Types of transitional land uses

LINZ grants three types of access in the RRZ:

  • Access authorities - grant access to red zone land, e.g. if you’re carrying out works on a neighbouring private property and you need to cross the red zone.
  • Licences - typically granted to use the land for one-off events.
  • Leases - tend to be granted for projects.
Last Updated: 1 July 2020