Have an idea? Here’s what you’ll need to tell us about your event or project, as well as conditions on using the residential red zone (RRZ) land.

What to include

LINZ assesses all ideas against fixed criteria. You will need to tell us:

Conditions for using the land

Your project or event must be temporary. If it is permanent, it will be declined.

When you use the RRZ land, you’ll need to - 

  • let other users of the RRZ – like neighbours, and the public – know about your event or project
  • keep LINZ updated about your project or event
  • make sure the land is returned to its pre-use state after your project or event 
  • have $1 million public liability insurance
  • have a health and safety plan
  • depending on what your event or project is, you may also need an environmental management and/or hazard management plan

The Crown may need to cancel your use if the land is needed for regeneration purposes.

How much does it cost?

Making an application is free. However, there are some costs associated with using the Crown-owned RRZ land:

  • you may need to pay the rates
  • you may need to pay a bond to cover potential costs of putting the land back to its pre-use state, depending on your project or event
  • if you have commercial objectives, we will consider charges on a case-by-case basis

Challenges of working in the RRZ

There is no infrastructure in the RRZ – no power, no water, no toilets. You’ll need to think about how you will provide these if they will be needed for your project or event.

This land is the red zone for a reason. There are a number of hazards on the land which you need to take account of in your planning, and some RRZ land may be unsuitable for your project or event.

Hazards in the flat lands include:

  • flooding
  • cracks in the land
  • uneven surfaces
  • open culverts.

Hazards in the Port Hills include:

  • rock roll
  • cliff collapse
  • cordoned-off areas

Help with planning your project or event

  • Life in Vacant Spaces (LIVS) may be able to provide assistance with bringing your project or event to life.
  • Your project or event may need consents from CCC or from ECAN.
  • NZTA’s website provides guidance on temporary traffic management at events.
  • WorkSafe provides information about health and safety and templates for Health and Safety plans on their website.

LINZ is happy to discuss any aspect of your project or idea, and connect you with like-minded community groups who could help youget your idea off the ground.. Send an email to redzoneinfo@linz.govt.nz or call us on 0800 665 463.

How to apply

  1. Complete the Expression of Interest form. You will receive a copy of your submitted form by email for your records.
  2. Once you have submitted the form, LINZ will contact you to discuss your expression of interest and what you need to do to make an application. This may include sending us a number of supporting documents, such as site maps, a risk assessment and health and safety management plan, depending on what you want to do.
  3. Once you have all the information to make an application, you’ll need to send it to redzoneinfo@linz.govt.nz. Your application will be assessed against the fixed criteria, and LINZ will notify you of its decision.

Expressions of interest

Tell us about your idea for temporary use of the RRZ.

Last Updated: 12 September 2019