Some areas in the Residential Red Zone are available to access or temporarily use (up to five years), where all required works have been completed.

When considering these applications, we need to consider the activity against a range of criteria. Your application should show how your proposal:

  • is consistent with the Crown’s recovery and regeneration objectives
  • is consistent with Regenerate Christchurch’s vision and objectives for the Otakaro/Avon River Corridor (if relevant)
  • would not limit the options for the long term use of the land/area
  • is consistent with LINZ land maintenance requirements and objectives
  • does not endanger the public or community, or cause any nuisance to neighbours
  • does not damage the land, environment or other assets
  • complies with legal and/or regulatory requirements

Once we receive your application, we will discuss its contents with Regenerate Christchurch and the Christchurch City Council to seek their feedback. You may wish to check out the CCC district plan as most of the Residential Red Zone has special zoning.

To apply, please complete the Transitional Land Use Application Form (PDF 77KB) and email it to 

The maps attached below show current leases/licences in place in the OARC and Port Hills area.  These maps will be updated regularly with any changes.

We are happy to discuss any aspects of your application/project, please either send an email to or call us on 0800 665 463.

Last Updated: 27 May 2019