Have an idea for a one-off or short-term initiative for up to six months? Here’s what you’ll need to tell us about your event or project, as well as conditions on using Crown-owned red zone land.

What to include

LINZ assesses all ideas against fixed criteria. You will need to tell us:

  • the practical details of your project or event
  • how you will meet any legal or regulatory requirements and responsibilities associated with your project or event
  • how you’re going to manage the risks of your project or event and impact on neighbours - check out the TMP for CHCH website for useful info on traffic management plans
    Christchurch Traffic Management Plans 
  • how you will return the land to its pre-use state after your project or event
  • that LINZ – or the Council for the Ōtākaro-Avon River Corridor – can still carry out its land safety and maintenance tasks around your project or event
  • how your project or event supports recovery and regeneration objectives under the Greater Christchurch Regeneration Act 2016 and Regenerate Christchurch’s Vision and Objectives for the Ōtākaro-Avon River Corridor
    Greater Christchurch Regeneration Act 2016
    Vision and Objectives for the Ōtākaro-Avon River Corridor

Conditions for using the land

Your project or event must be temporary – either a one-off or short-term initiative for up to six months. If it is permanent, it will be declined and you will need to apply to the Council.

When you use Crown-owned red zone land, you’ll need to:

  • let other users of the red zone – like neighbours, and possibly the public – know about your event or project
  • keep LINZ updated about your project or event
  • make sure the land is returned to its pre-use state after your project or event 
  • have $1 million public liability insurance
  • have a health and safety plan
  • depending on what your event or project is, you may also need an environmental management and/or hazard management plan

The Crown may need to cancel your use if the land is needed for regeneration purposes.

How much does it cost?

Making an application is free. However, there are some costs associated with using the Crown-owned red zone land:

  • you may need to pay the rates
  • you may need to pay a bond to cover potential costs of putting the land back to its pre-use state, depending on your project or event
  • if you have commercial objectives, we will consider charges on a case-by-case basis

Challenges of working in the red zone

There is no infrastructure in the red zone – no power, no water, no toilets. You’ll need to think about how you will provide these if they will be needed for your project or event.

This land is the red zone for a reason. There are a number of hazards on the land which you need to take account of in your planning, and some red zone land may be unsuitable for your project or event.

Hazards in the flat lands include:

  • flooding and pooling
  • cracks in the land
  • uneven surfaces
  • open culverts.

Hazards in the Port Hills include:

  • rock roll
  • cliff collapse
  • cordoned-off areas

Help with planning your project or event

Life in Vacant SpacesLife in Vacant Spaces may be able to provide assistance with bringing your project or event to life.
Christchurch City Council
Your project or event may need consents from Christchurch City Council or from Environment Canterbury (ECAN).
NZTA - EventsNZTA provides guidance on temporary traffic management at events.
WorkSafeWorkSafe provides information about health and safety and templates for Health and Safety plans.

LINZ is happy to discuss any aspect of your project or idea, and connect you with like-minded community groups who could help you get your idea off the ground. Email to redzoneinfo@linz.govt.nz or call 0800 665 463.

How to apply

  1. Complete the Expression of Interest form. You will receive an acknowledgement receipt along with a copy of your submitted form by email for your records.
  2. Once you have submitted the form, LINZ will contact you to discuss your expression of interest and what you need to do to make an application. This may include sending supporting documents, such as a site map, depending on what you want to do. You may also need to attend a meeting to clarify what the proposal involves.
  3. Once you have all the information to make an application, you’ll need to send it to redzoneinfo@linz.govt.nz. Your application will be assessed against the fixed criteria, and LINZ will notify you of its decision.
  4. Community-based advisory group Te Tira Kāhikuhiku provides advice to LINZ and Christchurch City Council on applications for temporary land uses.
    Te Tira Kāhikuhiku

Expressions of interest

Tell us about your idea for temporary use of the red zone:

Expressions of interest form

Last Updated: 30 June 2021