Common questions and answers regarding Territorial Authorities registering for and using Landonline.

How do I use the online Territorial Authority (TA) certificates?

There are two types of TA e-certification templates in Landonline:

  1. Certificate templates located in the e-survey application. These are standard templates with content pre-approved by the Registrar-General of Land (RGL).
  2. An editable template (attachment below) that can be downloaded from the Landonline website. This template also has certificate options pre-approved by the RGL. However, it can also accommodate any non-standard requirements by allowing the addition or deletion of paragraphs.

If a TA is contemplating an approval scenario that does not fit within existing options, please call Customer Support on 0800 665 463 (select option 2).

What steps does a TA have to follow to get set up to start using TA e-certification?

All the steps you need to follow can be found in Before signing up.

Can we upgrade from e-search/e-search plus to TA e-certification?

You can upgrade from e-search or e-search plus to TA e-certification by completing the upgrade licences form.

Note: If you wish to upgrade from e-search, the TA e-certification licence fee is $1,000 and the Annual Maintenance Fee is $200. There is no difference in the cost of an e-search plus licence fee and Annual Maintenance Fee compared with TA e-certification. For more information about licence fees, see Pricing. If you have any queries about upgrading to TA e-certification, call Customer Support on 0800 ONLINE (0800 665 463) and select option 2.

Why do TAs have to have multiple Landonline accounts?

Larger corporates and government agencies may choose to set up a separate Landonline account for each business unit or branch. This allows separation of activity under Landonline for each business unit, and also enables separate invoicing. When Landonline was first developed, each TA was set up with an account name and code in Landonline in readiness for them purchasing a licence and starting to use TA e-certification. This ensured their Landonline TA e-certification account would be separate from any subsequent accounts required by the TA that do not relate to e-certification.

To activate TA e-certification, you need to notify LINZ that your TA wishes to be enabled to use Landonline TA e-certification, by emailing your contact details to: with 'Enable TA e-certification' in the subject line.

Is there any information on how other TAs prepared their organisations to start using TA e-certification?

LINZ has developed useful information based on discussions with a number of TAs who are using TA e-certification to assist TAs who are considering moving to e-certification. There are also include links to case studies based on interviews with several TAs:

When is an A&I required by the Territorial Authority (TA)?

For instruments that are to be registered by a Conveyancer or Solicitor on behalf of a TA.

What type of A&I form is required from a TA?

A Public Corporate A&I form.

Who in the TA needs to sign the A&I form?

The council officer who would have signed the paper instrument (Authorised Signatories).

What instruments need an A&I form?

An A&I form needs to be completed for certain electronic instruments. In general terms these instruments include:

  • Any instruments under the Land Transfer Act 1952
  • An instrument making changes to the Certificate of Title
  • Changes to reserve status of land
  • Easements
  • Consents
  • Building Act - hazards
  • Release 3.1 e-capable instruments

How can TA staff know that the conveyancer or solicitor has completed the registration?

TA staff should request the conveyancer/solicitor to either supply a copy of the title following registration e.g. a Post Registration Search (PRS), or other evidence that the change has been completed.

Last Updated: 5 October 2020