You can request a link from the LINZ website (www.linz.govt.nz) to your website. Generally we are happy to do so when the link is relevant to a page’s content and to the interests of the user.
However, in some cases we may decide not to provide a link if it does not meet the following guidelines on linking to other organisations.
Why does LINZ have guidelines for linking to other organisations?
As a government department LINZ needs to be transparent and fair about linking to the websites of private individuals or commercial providers. LINZ aims to avoid situations where such links could be interpreted as implied endorsement of third-party products, services or views, or as unfairly promoting one commercial provider over another.
LINZ websites may link to the websites of individuals, commercial providers and non-governmental organisations (provided the link is not paid advertising) using:
- factual content that does not include an endorsement, and either
- an invitation offering a similar link to equivalent providers and organisations, or
- directions to where users can find equivalent providers
- the company is a LINZ-accredited supplier or has signed a supply agreement with LINZ, or
- the link is relevant to the page’s content and to the interests of the user, for example:
- an article covering LINZ’s involvement in a project that includes a private individual or commercial provider
- an article using a private individual or commercial provider to illustrate an industry development, or
- the link promotes LINZ’s products or services, including those provided in part by other parties or business partners, or
- it is LINZ’s objective to provide a fair overview of commercial providers of a specific product or service, or
- LINZ has significant involvement in a commercial event (such as a conference)
- the website is clearly associated with the personal or political views of an individual, company or organisation, or
- the website owners or contributors are LINZ employees or are connected to LINZ and the link may be interpreted as a conflict of interest, or
- the website gathers revenue via the hosting of advertising and that hosting may be interpreted as a conflict of interest, or
- the website contains inappropriate content that may compromise LINZ’s integrity.
Please contact us to request a link or for more information.