1 August 2013
The New Zealand Geographic Board (NZGB) will recommend to the Minister for Land Information that New Zealanders be given a choice about whether to use the English or the Māori names for the country’s two main islands.
For more information see:
- Frequently asked questions about alternative Māori names for the North Island and South Island
- Examples of historic maps and charts with various English and Māori names for the North Island and South Island
- and About the New Zealand Geographic Board.
- Previous Media Release: 2 April 2013 - Alternative Naming For North & South Islands
- Gazette notice - 4 April 2013
- Name proposal pages
- North Island
- Te Ika-a-Māui
- South Island
- Te Waipounamu