22 June 2017
The New Zealand Geographic Board made decisions on 1105 New Zealand, Antarctic and Undersea place names at its recent meeting on 18 May 2017.
Today the Board opened consultation on eight place name proposals around the country, seeking public views for or against:
- Eliot Ridge to Eliott Ridge - closes 28 July 2017
- Mount Eliot to Mount Eliott - closes 28 July 2017
- Lammerlaw Stream to Lammerlaw Creek - closes 28 July 2017
- McLaurin Range to Maclaurin Ridge - closes 28 July 2017
- Marshal Ridge to Marshall Ridge - closes 28 July 2017
- Castle Rock to Motutere / Castle Rock - closes 22 September 2017
- Mount Marion to Mount Marianne - closes 28 July 2017
- Omiha to Rocky Bay - closes 22 September 2017
Place names now official
The Board has also confirmed the following New Zealand, Antarctic and Undersea place names:
- 213 recorded New Zealand place names have been approved as official
- 13 place names were formalised for Taranaki Iwi and Te Awa Tupua (Whanganui River) under their Treaty of Waitangi Settlements
- 119 undersea feature names were approved, altered or adopted as official
- 752 Antarctic features names validated, assigned, altered or updated as official.
The Board have gazetted 1097 decisions, making them official today.
Email: email@example.com or phone: 027 566 5251