Published date

Kia ora koutou

This is an update to let you know that the final deadline to apply for a transitional exemption certificate is fast approaching. Applications can be made to the Overseas Investment Office until 21 February 2019.

A transitional exemption certificate allows overseas people to buy apartments off the plans. The developer can sell up to 100 percent of the units to overseas people, and those overseas people who buy do not need consent from the OIO. They can live in the apartments, and do not have to on-sell.

A full explanation about transitional exemption certificates is here and an example of a completed transitional exemption certificate is here.
Ngā mihi nui
Vanessa Horne
Group Manager, Overseas Investment Office
Land Information New Zealand

Media contact