The Overseas Investment Office has released the following decisions for this month.
|201120003||Mikhail Khimich and Budfin Nominees Limited|
|201220034||Morris Salomon Kahn & Shmuel Meitar|
|201220047||Matauri Bay Partnership|
|201220078 & 201220079||O:TU Investments Limited|
|201220083||NMP Farm Investment GmbH and Oceania Agrar Investitions GmbH|
|201220091||Matthew Robert Chapman|
|201220092||Public Sector Pension Investment Board & Guardians of New Zealand Superannuation Fund & President and Fellows of Harvard College|
|201220095||William P. Foley II|
|201310007||NZ Holdings (2012) Limited|
|201310009, 201310027, 201310028||Bernard Jean Sabrier|
|201310039||Precinct Properties New Zealand Limited|
Schedule of Deletions
Schedule of deletions in terms of section 17 of the Official Information Act 1982 and under the provisions of sections 9(2)(a) and/or 9(2)(b)(ii) and/or 9(2)(ba)(i) of that Act.
Statistical information on Overseas Investment Office decisions for April 2013
The following statistical information shows consents granted or declined by the Overseas Investment Office for the sale of New Zealand land, business assets and fishing quota to overseas persons. It does not necessarily indicate that a sale has taken place or will take place. In addition, if a transaction for which consent is granted does proceed to sale, that sale will always take place after the consent has been granted. The settlement date will depend on the contractual arrangements between the vendor and the purchaser.
Value of investments to New Zealand
The table below shows the net dollar investment value to New Zealand and gross value of consideration of consents granted to overseas persons in April 2013 and for the 2013 calendar year to date.
Net investment dollars
“Net investment dollars” represent the total dollar value invested in New Zealand. For example, if a New Zealander sells a $100 million business to an Australian then the whole $100 million is added to the net investment total. However, if for instance the New Zealand asset was 100% Japanese owned, then $0 would be added to the net investment total. Thus, the net change in ownership of New Zealand assets is captured in the "total" net investment figure.
Gross value of consideration
“Gross value of consideration” represents the total consideration including GST (if any) to be paid for the acquisition of the assets, or the value attributed to those assets, under consents granted during the relevant period. The “gross value of consideration” figure for February includes consideration paid by New Zealanders (for example, an acquisition of a business by a New Zealand/Australian joint venture), and will not reflect the net change in ownership of New Zealand assets.
The reference to “consideration” refers to the amount proposed to be paid for the acquisition by the purchaser.
“Asset value” refers to the value of assets of the person being acquired (or the person being acquired and its 25% or more subsidiaries)..
|April 2013||January - April 2013||January - April 2012|
|Number of approvals||14||37||30|
|Net Investment $||22,362,898||Confidential||779,318,242|
|Gross value of consideration||1,244,242,542||Confidential||1,405,665,927|
In terms of net investment, the three largest approvals by the Overseas Investment Office in 2013 to date, that can be disclosed were for:
- El Dorado Research Ventures Limited’s proposed acquisition of up to 100% of the shares of Endace Limited – a “net” investment of $19,142,730;
- Cheung Kong Infrastructure Group’s proposed acquisition of 100% of the shares of Barra Topco II Ltd – a “net” investment of $11,888,586; and
- NMP Farm Investment GmbH and Oceania Agrar Investitions GmbH’s proposed acquisition of 1,027.1538 hectares of freehold land situated at Waipa Valley Road, Te Kuiti – a “net” investment of $6,600,000.
Total land area approved for sale to overseas persons
The tables below show the net and gross area of land (in hectares) for which consent was granted to overseas persons in April 2013 and for the 2013 calendar year to date.
"Net hectares" represents the total land area proposed to be transferred into foreign ownership under consents granted during the relevant period. For example, if a New Zealander sells 10 hectares to someone from overseas, the whole 10 hectares is shown. However, if the seller was a company that was 50% New Zealand owned and 50% foreign owned then only five hectares would show in that column. Five hectares represents the "net" change in foreign ownership of New Zealand land.
“Gross hectares” represents the total land area proposed to be acquired under consents granted during the relevant period. The figure will not show the seller’s New Zealand ownership share (if any) (unlike the “net hectares” figure) and will include land that is proposed to be acquired by New Zealand interests as well as overseas interests (for example, under a New Zealand/Australian joint venture).
Freehold land approved for sale
|April 2013||January - April 2013|
January - April 2012
|Number of approvals||14||30||23|
|Net land area (ha)||1,694||26,427||10,569|
|Gross land area (ha)||4,264||107,120||11,662|
In terms of “net” freehold land areas, the three largest approvals by the Overseas Investment Office in 2013 to date that can be disclosed were for:
- China National Forest Products Trading Corporation & China National Forest Products Industry Corporation’s proposed acquisition of 14,130.0455 hectares of freehold land situated in various North Island locations – a “net” land area of 14,130.0455 hectares; and
- Craigmore Sustainables (Farming) N.V’s proposed acquisition of up to 95% of the securities in Craigmore Farming NZ LP which indirectly owns or controls 4,656.4911 hectares of freehold land situated in Gisborne, Taranaki and Canterbury – a “net” land area of 3,593.648 hectares; and
- Oceana Gold (New Zealand) Limited’s proposed acquisition of 1,624.0521 hectares of freehold land situated at Matheson Road, Hyde, Otago – a “net” land area of 1,624.0521 hectares.
Other interests in land approved for sale (for example leases and crown pastoral leases)
|April 2013||January - April 2013||January - April 2013|
|Number of approvals||3||7||5|
|Net land area (ha)||5||8||230|
|Gross land area (ha)||26,418||31,577||372|
- Cheung Kong Infrastructure Group’s proposed acquisition of 100% of the shares of Barra Topco II Ltd which indirectly owns or controls approximately 406 hectares located at various locations around New Zealand being the sites of various refuse transfer stations, landfills and waste management related utilities – a “net” land area of 9.9594 hectares.
Approvals under the Fisheries Act 1996
The table below show the net fishing quota for which consent was granted to overseas persons in April 2013 and for the 2013 calendar year to date.
|January - April 2013||January - April 2012|
|Number of approvals||0||0||0|
|Net tonnes of Annual Catch Entitlement||0||0||0|
|Gross tonnes of Annual Catch Entitlement||0||0||0|
|Net Quota shares||0||0||0|
|Gross Quota shares||0||0||0|
The table below shows investments for which consent was declined in April 2013 and for the 2013 calendar year to date.
|April 2013||January - April 2013||January - April 2012|
|Number of Declines||0||0||0|
|Total proposed purchase price ($)||0||0||0|
|Total proposed area to be acquired (ha)||0||0||0|
For more information contact:
Overseas Investment Office
Land Information New Zealand
Ph: 04 462 4490