The diagram is a flow chart that users follow to assess if they are ordinarily a resident in New Zealand. There are 6 boxes in total, of which four ask questions and are linked by answer lines "yes" or "no".
The user follows the line to the next box depending on what answer applies. The exact text in each box, from screen left to right, then down, reads:
- Box one: "Is the individual a New Zealand Citizen?" A "yes" answer goes to box five. A "no" answer goes to box two.
- Box two: "Does the individual hold a residence permit or are they exempt from holding a residence permit?" A "yes" answer goes to box three. A "no" answer goes to box six.
- Box three: "Is the individual domiciled in New Zealand?" A "yes" answer goes to box five. A "no" answer goes to box four.
- Box four: "Is the individual residing in New Zealand with the intention of residing there indefinitely, and has done for the immediately preceding 12 months?" A "yes" answer goes to box five. A "no" answer goes to box six.
- Box five: "Not an overseas person"
- Box six: "Overseas person"
This website provides general information only. The OIO and LINZ do not assume any responsibility for giving legal or other professional advice and disclaim any liability arising from the use of the information. If you require legal or other expert advice you should seek assistance from a professional adviser.