World War One through place names. Seddonville Soldiers Memorial Recreation Reserve.
This area was created as a reserve due to the strenuous efforts of a local committee formed in 1921. It was officially opened to the public by Mr. D. O’Brien, the Chairman of the Buller County Council, on 16 April 1925.
Originally comprising ten acres of land, the reserve has been extended and added to since. Today its most prominent feature are the entrance gates, on which are listed the names of 18 Seddonville men who fell in the First World War, and five who fell in the Second World War.
The New Zealand Geographic Board officially validated the name Seddonville Soldiers Memorial Recreation Reserve in 1980.
- New Zealand Geographic Board: Minutes, 1980 (62).
- New Zealand Geographic Board, ‘New Zealand Gazetteer’
- NZ History, ‘Seddonville War Memorial’
- Press, 17 April 1925, p. 13.