Crown property
Last updated
Issue or publication date
Resource category
Resource status

Application for a commercial recreation permit for filming.

You need a commercial recreation permit to film on a Crown pastoral lease.

To apply for a permit, complete this form. Please complete one form per permit, regardless of whether the activity falls across one or multiple leases.

If you want to undertake other commercial recreation activities such as mountain biking or walking, you will need to complete the general commercial recreation permit application form.

You must provide enough information to allow the Commissioner of Crown Lands (the Commissioner) to decide on your application.  To avoid delays, we recommend providing as much information as possible and as early as possible. We will contact you if more information is required, or if we need to seek information from other sources. If we cannot get sufficient information, your application may be declined.

At a minimum, please check you have provided:

  •   your details
  •   details about the property
  •   details about your proposed activity
  •   details about your proposed activity’s location, including a map
  •   a description of any potential effects of the proposed activity on inherent values (see the Inherent values framework)
  •   evidence of the relevant lessee or licensee’s consent
  •   your proposed financial projections or annual returns as relevant

We will also need to see details of your public liability insurance, your draft commercial recreation permit for filming (email for an example), and receive an application fee (see the schedule below or on the discretionary pastoral activities page for up-to-date fees). We will send you an invoice for the application fee when we receive your application. Please make payment promptly to avoid any unnecessary delays.

The Commissioner may consider other matters they consider relevant to the application.

As part of processing your application, your form and supporting information may be shared with other parties. More information on this process can be found at the back of this form.

If you have any questions about what is required, email your Pastoral Specialist or

Please send your completed form and any supporting information to your Pastoral Specialist. If you do not know who your Pastoral Specialist is, send it to

You can also send it by post to:

Pastoral team
Toitū Te Whenua Land Information New Zealand
Private Bag 4721
Christchurch 8140