Crown property
Last updated
Issue or publication date
Resource category
Resource status

Application for an easement.

You need written consent for an easement on Crown pastoral land.

An easement is a right agreed between a landowner and another party to use a property for a particular purpose. It can be registered against the property’s title. Easements are often sought for activities such as new pipelines, electricity supply transmission lines, or to establish rights of way.

To apply for an easement, complete this form.

Please check you have provided:

  •   your details
  •   details about the property
  •   details about the proposed easement
  •   details about your proposed easement’s location, including a map
  •   a description of any potential effects of the proposed activity on inherent values (see the Inherent values framework)
  •   evidence of the relevant lessee or licensee’s consent or an explanation of why agreement could not be reached
  •   information on your skills, experience, and financial position

You must provide enough information to allow the Commissioner of Crown Lands (the Commissioner) to decide on your application. To avoid delays, we recommend providing as much information as possible. The Commissioner will contact you in writing if more information is required and place your application on hold. This written request will ask you to provide the required information within a certain timeframe. If the Commissioner cannot get the required information within that timeframe, your application may be declined.

We will also need to see details of your draft Deed of Easement (we have included a template below which sets out the required content), and receive an application fee (see the LINZ website for up-to-date fees). We will send you an invoice for the application fee when we receive your application. Please make payment promptly to avoid any unnecessary delays.

As part of processing your application, your form and supporting information may be shared with other parties. More information on this process can be found at the back of this form.

If you have any questions about what is required, email your Pastoral Specialist or

Please send your completed form and any supporting information to your Pastoral Specialist. If you do not know who your Pastoral Specialist is, send it to

You can also send it by post to:

Pastoral team
Toitū Te Whenua Land Information New Zealand
Private Bag 4721
Christchurch 8140

Available formats and related files