Issue or publication date
Resource category
Resource status

Request for consent to grant or vary an exemption from any stock limitation

You need written consent to grant or vary an exemption from any stock limitation on a Crown pastoral lease.

Each pastoral lease has a limit on the number and class of stock that can be grazed on the land. This limitation is referred to as the ‘stock limitation’. You can find details about this in your lease agreement. The stock limitation reflects the capacity for grazing on the lease without any further development taking place.

If you want to run more stock, or make a change to the balance between the classes of stock you carry on the lease which would result in the limit being exceeded, you will need to apply for an exemption. These can be granted to allow leaseholders to carry numbers and classes of stock that differ from what is specified in the lease.

A stock exemption is personal to a lessee or licensee. It expires when that person ceases to hold the lease or licence.

To apply for consent, complete this form.

You must provide enough information to allow the Commissioner of Crown Lands (the Commissioner) to decide on your application.  To avoid delays, we recommend providing as much information as possible, and as early as possible. We will contact you if more information is required, or if we need to seek information from other sources. If we cannot get sufficient information, your application may be declined.

At a minimum, please check you have provided:

  •   your details
  •   details about the property
  •   the proposed stock numbers and classes of stock
  •   details about your proposed activity’s location, including a map
  •   a description of any potential effects of the proposed activity on inherent values (see the Inherent values framework).

The Commissioner may consider other matters they consider relevant to the application.

As part of processing your application, your form and supporting information may be shared with other parties. More information on this process can be found at the back of this form.

If you have any questions about what is required, email your Portfolio Manager or

Please send your completed form and any supporting information to your Portfolio Manager. If you do not know who your Portfolio Manager is, send it to

You can also send it by post to:

Pastoral team
Toitū Te Whenua Land Information New Zealand
Private Bag 4721
Christchurch 8140