This report provides strategic findings and recommendations from the marine data innovation technical Proof-Of-Concept (POC) project funded through the Department of Internal Affairs (DIA) Digital Government Partnership fund. The project was a collaboration between Toitū Te Whenua LINZ (LINZ), Te Arawhiti, Te Papa Atawhai | Department of Conservation (DOC) and the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI).
Summary of findings:
- An integrated marine geospatial system should be progressed as an essential national data asset.
- Technology and shared information can enable integrated marine management.
- A lead agency is required, however an integrated marine geospatial system should be developed and governed collaboratively.
- The findings from this POC research should be used to inform a business case and any future technical requirements.
- A marine spatial system could be expanded to support other domains in the future.
- Te ao Māori perspective on Aotearoa’s marine data must inform any business case.
View a recording of the demo for the introduction to the Marine Data Innovation Project: