Hydrographic Standards & Technical Specifications
This page sets out the hydrographic standards and specifications that LINZ contractors must comply with when producing nautical charts and publications.
These standards are available from the International Hydrographic Organisation (IHO).
To find the standards, navigate to the Publications > Catalogue section of the IHO website.
- S-44 IHO Standards for Hydrographic Surveys
- S-57 IHO Transfer standard for Digital Hydrographic Data
- M-4 Regulations for INT Charts and Chart Specifications (supplemented by INT 1, INT 2 and INT 3)
Note: INT 1 is named 'Symbols Abbreviations Terms used on Charts'
Refer to the following catalogues for interpreting objects and attributes of Electronic Navigational Charts (ENCs):
- the International Hydrographic Organisation (IHO) S-57 Object Catalogue
- the IHO S-57 Attribute Catalogue
- the online S-57 ENC Object Catalogue provided by CARIS.
Contract technical specifications
- LINZ Source Data Specification (pdf 6.5MB)
- LINZ Contract specifications for hydrographic surveys (pdf 1.4MB)
- Other technical documentation
IHO Manual of Hydrography
The IHO Manual on Hydrography is released to provide knowledge on the concepts involved in hydrography as well as guidance to plan and execute hydrographic surveys. The Manual is considered to be a professional guide for hydrographic surveyors and a tool for teachers and students involved in hydrographic courses or programs.
The Manual is available on the IHO website. To find the manual navigate to the Publications > Catalogue section of the IHO website.