Information for Property Owners and Investors

All you need to know about property location, features, boundaries, ownership – and your rights as a property owner.

Home owners in front of their house

We collect and make available a wide range of information about New Zealand’s land. Some of it is the kind of information you need when buying, selling or developing land, like survey or property boundaries, certificates of title (showing who owns a property) and other land records. Other information, like maps and place names, can be useful also for family tree or historical research. Our job is to ensure that all this information is accurate and reliable. We do this by setting the standards for this information and how it’s collected. We also maintain the systems that ensure you have ready access to land information when you need it.

Are you a Canterbury property owner?

In some areas of Christchurch, like those affected by liquefaction, shallow ground movement has made it more difficult to accurately locate property boundaries. 

If you own a home or property in an area that has had a lot of shallow ground movement, it may now be difficult for a surveyor to determine where your boundaries sit. 

Read more information about what this means for property owners in Canterbury

Looking for something?

Looking for the location of a property? Find a map.

Verify who owns a property? Order a title.

Researching the family tree or Treaty settlement claim? Search our land records

Looking for a New Zealand place name? Search for names of features and places.

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Search, browse and download all kinds of land information through the LINZ Data Service (LDS). It’s free. 

Received a Land Transfer Act notice?

You may have received a notice from LINZ under the Land Transfer Act. Find out what your notice means.

Know your property rights?

Even when you own your property, sometimes others have rights to use it or work on it. Generally, surveyors need your permission to undertake surveys on your property. However, there are times when we give special authorisation for them to work without it. In these cases surveyors: 

  • can be on your land but cannot enter buildings
  • must give you reasonable notice
  • must undertake their work at a reasonable time of day.

Find out more about the authority to enter land.

In some cases the Government can purchase your privately-owned land where it’s needed for public works – projects like building a road. In these cases we follow a clearly set process that takes into account landowners’ interests.

Learn more about your rights relating to land involved in Public Works.