Overseas investment

We've recently updated the OIO website content. If you have any questions please email Joanna Carr.

Realising the benefits of overseas investment, while protecting New Zealand’s sensitive land and assets

A vineyard in rural New Zealand

Overseas people must get consent through the Overseas Investment Office (OIO) before they can invest in New Zealand’s sensitive land, significant business assets and fishing quota.

Investors who need consent:

  • generally aren’t New Zealand citizens or are people who don’t ordinarily live here
  • are bodies, such as companies, trusts and joint ventures, with more than 25 per cent overseas ownership or control
  • can include associates (including New Zealanders) of overseas investors.

Proposed investments must meet criteria in the Overseas Investment Act 2005 (for ‘sensitive’ land and high value businesses) and the Fisheries Act 1996 (for fishing quota). This will usually require investors to establish their business experience, that they are of good character and for sensitive land, demonstrate the benefits to New Zealand of their investment. The OIO publishes all decisions made on applications.

Read the Overseas Investment Act 2005

Anyone making an application should seek expert legal and land advice as early as possible.

Read Seeking expert advice

Investors must provide us with truthful and complete information about themselves and their investment plans. They must also keep the commitments they made when applying for consent.

Last Updated: 23 February 2017