The New Zealand Gazetteer of Place Names (the Gazetteer) holds all official names for features within the New Zealand Geographic Board’s coverage. It also has other types of unofficial names, such as recorded and collected names.
The New Zealand Gazetteer of Place Names holds all official names for geographic places and features within the jurisdiction of the New Zealand Geographic Board Ngā Pou Taunaha o Aotearoa (NZGB). The New Zealand Gazetteer also has other types of unofficial names, such as recorded collected and replaced names.
As a minimum, each name listed includes:
- the name’s status – official or unofficial
- for an official name, the gazette or statutory reference
- the type of place or feature, eg, town, mountain, etc
- position reference (latitude and longitude)
- a description of the feature, when available
- the extent of the feature, when available
- the History/Origin/Meaning, when available
- file and archive references, when available
Want to use information from the New Zealand Gazetteer?
You can also search Māori place names with macrons.
Find names not in the New Zealand Gazetteer
Some New Zealand place names may not be in the New Zealand Gazetteer. However, you may find these in other sources of information about place names.