New Zealand Gazetteer of Official Geographic Names
The New Zealand Gazetteer of Official Geographic Names (the Gazetteer) is published by the New Zealand Geographic Board Ngā Pou Taunaha o Aotearoa (NZGB). The Gazetteer contains all official names for features within the NZGB's jurisdiction.
The Gazetteer includes the following information for each official name:
- official name
- gazette or statutory reference
- type of feature or place (eg town, mountain, etc)
- position (in terms of the New Zealand Transverse Mercator 2000 (NZTM2000) projection and New Zealand Geodetic Datum 2000 (NZGD2000))
- description (where available)
- extent (where available).
Download the Gazetteer
The Gazetteer is divided into six pages based on the type of place or feature.
- New Zealand (xls 2MB) or (PDF 857KB) - updated 13 February 2013
- Offshore islands (xls 166KB) or (PDF 81KB) - updated 22 August 2011
- Railway lines (xls 38KB) or (PDF 44KB) - updated 13 February 2012
- Antarctic (xls 1.65MB) or (PDF 981KB) - updated 25 May 2012
- Crown Protected Area (xls 733KB) or (PDF 314KB) - updated 21 December 2012
- Undersea (xls 145KB) or (PDF 185KB) - updated 14 November 2012
A number of official names contain macrons. While the Gazetteer shows the macrons for these names, care needs to be taken to ensure that they are retained when the names are moved between software packages. The NZGB has compiled a list of official names with macrons to assist in mapping, charting, signage, reporting, legislation, or other official documents.
Names not in the Gazetteer
There are many other unofficial geographic feature names in New Zealand. Get help finding names.