The Toitū Te Whenua website is designed to be as accessible as possible so that everyone can access the information we publish and easily interact with us.
Accessibility helps people with permanent disabilities as well as people with situational disabilities. For example, a clear font, good colour contrast and design that works well when a user magnifies a page will help people with a permanent vision disability, as well as someone trying to read our website on a cellphone in bright sunlight.
Toitū Te Whenua has signed the Accessibility Charter. This means we have committed to providing accessible information to the public and focusing on accessibility in all our work.
We also aim to meet the New Zealand Government Web Accessibility Standard.
This means that we will do our best to:
- strive to meet the New Zealand Government Web standards
- fix problems that prevent our websites meeting these standards
- publish all our content in a range of accessible formats where we have the means to do so
- work with vendors who understand and strive to comply with accessibility standards and requirements.
The Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) explain what good web accessibility looks like. This website meets many of the WCAG 2.1 Level AA requirements, but not all of them.
We aim to meet Level AA in all of our websites and are fixing the accessibility issues that we have found.
Content that is not accessible
We know that our websites have some accessibility issues. These include:
- PDFs, particularly older files which may have issues like a lack of navigation and not being compatible with screen readers
- maps, which may not work with screen readers
- forms, which may be difficult to navigate or complete
- older images, which may not have a good text alternative
- technical content, which may be difficult to understand.
Compatibility with browsers and assistive technologies
This website should work with all modern web browsers and assistive technologies, such as:
- Microsoft Edge, including the read aloud feature
- Apple Safari, including VoiceOver
- Google Chrome, including TalkBack
Parts of the website may not work properly on older web browsers.
Feedback and requests for alternative formats
Let us know if you find accessibility issues on this website. This includes functionality or tools that are difficult to use, navigation problems, or content that is hard to understand.
Please contact us if you need anything from our website in a different format.
We try to respond to feedback within 3 business days.
Email us at email@example.com
We focused on accessibility while developing this website – but as you can see from the above issues we have identified, this work is not finished yet. We check by:
- evaluating selected pages against WCAG 2.1 Level AA
- testing selected pages with assistive technologies.
Approver of this statement
This accessibility statement is approved by the Team Manager, Digital Communications, Toitū Te Whenua Land Information New Zealand. To contact the Digital Communications team email us at DigitalCommunications@linz.govt.nz