Use our Land Record Search to look for and purchase land records online.
Land Record Search allows you to search for and purchase online property records such as a Title, Survey plan or other Instrument. You can pay by credit or debit card and receive your chosen property record by email almost instantly.
You can search for records by address, title identifier, or survey number, alternatively you can use the interactive map to locate a specific parcel of land.
Find out more about Land Record Search
To search online you will need:
- a reliable internet connection
- a supported browser (for example, Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Safari). Internet Explorer is not supported.
Land Record Search hours of availability
|Monday to Thursday||6am-10pm|
|The service is unavailable on Sundays and public holidays.|
Delivery and cost
Land records ordered directly using Land Record Search cost $5 per record and will normally be emailed within a few minutes. In some rare occasions this can take up to 24 hours.
Records you can search for and order
Record of Title (title)
(Previously referred to as Computer Register or Certificate of Title)
You will receive both title sheet and survey sheets (where they exist) – not all plans have both sheets
e.g. a mortgage, easement or caveat. Current and historic instruments are listed on the title summary page. If the checkbox is greyed out, it cannot be ordered for immediate delivery and you will need to manually order the instrument,
The instrument reference is also recorded on the title or record of title it is registered against. When ordering manually, each reference needs to be named and a copy ordered separately.
LINZ doesn't hold certain records
- Most older records (other than land title documents) are now held by Archives New Zealand – see the online Archway database.
- Māori land records are held by the Māori Land Court
- Title and survey records do not contain information about the value of the property – see Other land record providers.
- LINZ does not provide information about property sales and does not prepare due diligence reports. Contact a lawyer or property agent.
- LINZ cannot provide copies of building consents, resource consents or Land Information Memorandum (LIM) reports. Contact your local council
Check the list of land record locations.
Records that are unavailable through Land Record Search
If you have been unable to find the record you wish to order through Land Record Search, it may be possible for LINZ to conduct a manual search for you. The cost for a manual search is $15 and should be delivered within 2 working days.
Land Record Search will not
- provide a valuation of a property, nor previous or anticipated sales prices
- infringe on anyone’s privacy concerns. Under the Land Transfer Act, the title register is a public record. This service reduces barriers for the public to access property information.
- allow users to search by an individual’s name or in bulk, these will continue to be restricted to registered Landonline users. Note, if a land record is purchased, it may include names that are on a title.