Landonline is the system used for managing New Zealand’s property surveys, titles and transactions. We're modernising it to ensure it remains a world-class property system, and that information about land in Aotearoa continues to be trusted and becomes more accessible.
We’re designing new features and services with our customers and will continue to work with them to develop the services they need in the future.
We’re also changing how we work by developing our in-house capability to ensure Landonline is built and managed sustainably.
We're using an Agile approach to define and deliver a future-proofed solution that's different to what's been done in government before.
The new fit-for-purpose and future-proofed platform is due to be completed in 2026 and will cost around $175 million, which will be repaid through user fees over 10 years. Beyond this, our in-house team will continue to manage, update and enhance the system.
You might be buying a property or be a small business owner using your house or other property to finance your business.
When you buy, sell, or alter property you want to be certain about details such as location, size, boundaries, and that you’re buying from the current owner.
In New Zealand, this information is recorded in the ‘title’ for each property and held in Landonline.
Landonline is accessed by 6,000 users every day.
Annual activity for 2021/22:
- 13,000 registered users
- 2.3 million property titles
- 3.65 million property searches
- 256,000 property titles issued/re-issued
- 600,000 property transactions.
Our customers include:
- surveyors – supplying data for the land they’ve surveyed
- solicitors and conveyancing professionals – acting on behalf of New Zealanders buying, selling or changing property details
- banks – assigning mortgages against property titles
- councils – issuing certificates or consents and for rating purposes
- real estate agents – sourcing title information for properties they’re selling
- the public – ordering property titles online via Land Record Search
- our kaimahi (staff) – monitoring information and processing survey plan lodgements and title dealings that need manual processing.
To input or use Landonline, customers need to be registered users and prove their identity via an authentication process.
Web Search makes it easy for registered customers to find and order land records easier and faster, using any device, from any location.
Notice of Change of Ownership (NoC)
We’ve automated the process for property lawyers, conveyancing professionals and councils to action a NoC.
Notice to Mortgagee (NtM)
We’ve automated the process to simultaneously inform financial institutions and the solicitor (acting on behalf of their client) that a mortgage has been registered against a Record of Title.
We've developed infographics for surveyors, property lawyers and conveyancers, and New Zealanders to explain what we're doing and how it relates to them.
Members of the public in New Zealand and Australia can now search for titles to New Zealand properties, thanks to Land Record Search (LRS), launched in February 2021.
New Landonline – Dealings
Our web-based platform (released in November 2022) enables property lawyers and conveyancing practitioners to complete almost all sale and purchase and re-financing transactions.
For more information, email email@example.com