The Urban Development Act 2020 (UDA) provides Kāinga Ora with powers to acquire, develop and transfer land when it initiates, facilitates, or undertakes any work for the purpose of its urban development functions. This ensures that all parties are treated fairly by the process of land acquisition.
This standard applies to the acquisition or transfer to Kāinga Ora for specified works of:
- land held by the Crown for a public work
- land held by Crown agents
- Crown land under the Land Act 1948
- common marine and coastal area
- land held by a local authority
- private or other land.
Kāinga Ora must use this standard when applying to the Minister for Land Information to exercise powers to acquire land under the UDA. It is the first standard on the matter.