Our contractors need to follow standards and specifications when producing nautical charts and publications. You can read these hydrographic standards and technical specifications and view the International Hydrographic Organisation (IHO) resources here.
International standards that apply to our work are available from the International Hydrographic Organisation (IHO).
- IHO S-44 Standards for Hydrographic Surveys
- IHO S-57 Transfer Standard for Digital Hydrographic Data
- View the S-4 Regulations for INT Charts and Chart Specifications (supplemented by INT 1, INT 2 and INT 3)
Refer to the following catalogues for interpreting objects and attributes of Electronic Navigational Charts (ENCs), which are available from the International Hydrographic Organisation (IHO):
- IHO S-57 Objective Catalogue
- IHO S-57 Attribute Catalogue
- View the S-57 ENC Object Catalogue (from Caris)
Specifications for contractors
- Download the LINZ Source Data Specification (PDF 3MB) PDF | 3.07 MB
- Download the LINZ Contract specifications for hydrographic surveys (PDF 1MB) PDF | 1.17 MB
IHO Manual of Hydrography
The IHO publication C-13 Manual on Hydrography is another source of information on hydrography, the science of mapping the sea floor, as well as a guide on carrying out hydrographic surveys. It is also a tool for teachers and students involved in hydrographic courses or programmes.