Our contractors need to follow standards and specifications when producing nautical charts and publications. You can read these hydrographic standards and technical specifications and view the International Hydrographic Organisation (IHO) resources here.
International standards that apply to our work are available from the International Hydrographic Organisation (IHO).
- Download the S-44 IHO Standards for Hydrographic Surveys PDF | 811 KB
- Download the S-57 IHO Transfer standard for Digital Hydrographic Data PDF | 515 KB
- View the S-4 Regulations for INT Charts and Chart Specifications (supplemented by INT 1, INT 2 and INT 3)
Refer to the following catalogues for interpreting objects and attributes of Electronic Navigational Charts (ENCs):
- Download the IHO S-57 Object Catalogue PDF | 472 KB
- Download the IHO S-57 Attribute Catalogue PDF | 585 KB
- View the S-57 ENC Object Catalogue (from Caris)
Specifications for contractors
- Download the LINZ Source Data Specification (PDF 3MB) PDF | 3.07 MB
- Download the LINZ Contract specifications for hydrographic surveys (PDF 1MB) PDF | 1.17 MB
IHO Manual of Hydrography
The IHO Manual on Hydrography is another source of information on hydrography, the science of mapping the sea floor, as well as a guide on carrying out hydrographic surveys. It is also a tool for teachers and students involved in hydrographic courses or programmes.