Crown property
Last updated
Issue or publication date
Resource category
Resource status

Request to retain an existing exemption from a stock limitation with the transfer of a lease.

Each pastoral lease has a limit on the number and class of stock that can be grazed on the land. This limitation is referred to as the ‘stock limitation’. You can find details about this in your lease agreement. The stock limitation reflects the capacity for grazing on the lease without any further development taking place.

If you want to run more stock, or make a change to the balance between the classes of stock you carry on the lease which would result in the limit being exceeded, you will need to apply for an exemption. These can be granted to allow leaseholders to carry numbers and classes of stock that differ from what is specified in the lease.

A stock exemption is personal to a lessee or licensee. It expires when that person ceases to hold the lease or licence.

However, when a lease is transferred, the Commissioner of Crown Lands (the Commissioner) may grant a stock exemption to the prospective transferee if the conditions of the stock exemption provide for stock numbers and types equal to, or lower than, the previous holder’s exemption. In these cases, a shorter application form can be used.

If you want to:

  • grant or vary an exemption from a stock limitation that provides for stock numbers and types equal to or lower than the current exemption, complete this form. Make sure you attach your completed form to your application to transfer a lease.
  • grant or vary an exemption from a stock limitation that provides for stock numbers and types above the current exemption, you will need to complete the application form to grant or vary a stock limitation.

You must provide enough information to allow the Commissioner to decide on your application.  To avoid delays, we recommend providing as much information as possible, and as early as possible. We will contact you if more information is required, or if we need to seek information from other sources. If we cannot get sufficient information, your application may be declined.

At a minimum, please check you have provided:

  •   your details
  •   details of the proposed transferee(s)
  •   details about the lease or licence
  •   the proposed stock numbers and classes of stock
  •   information showing the applicant’s capability to manage the relevant stock
  •   information showing the land in its current state is capable of sustaining the proposed stock numbers and classes.

The Commissioner may consider other matters they consider relevant to the application.

As part of processing your application, your form and supporting information may be shared with other parties. More information on this process can be found at the back of this form.

If you have any questions about what is required, email your Pastoral Specialist or

Please send your completed form and any supporting information to your Pastoral Specialist. If you do not know who your Pastoral Specialist is, send it to

You can also send it by post to:

Pastoral team
Toitū Te Whenua Land Information New Zealand
Private Bag 4721
Christchurch 8140