Find out about investing in New Zealand’s fishing quota.

About this consent

Fishing quota includes:

  • quota shares
  • annual catch entitlement
  • provisional catch history.

Who needs consent

If you are an overseas person, you must apply for consent to invest in fishing quota in New Zealand.

Overseas person

Assessment criteria

For a consent for fishing quota to be granted:

  • you will need to meet the investor test
  • the interest in fishing quota must be capable of being registered in the Quota Register or the Annual Catch Entitlement Register
  • the relevant Ministers must be satisfied that the consent is in New Zealand’s interest, and
  • the Minister of Finance must not have declined consent to the transaction on the basis that it is contrary to New Zealand’s national interest.

Investor test

Applications that include a significant business asset

If your application includes a significant business asset, you will need to provide tax information when you apply. We will pass this information directly to Inland Revenue without viewing it. Please note that we will not start to assess your application until we receive confirmation from Inland Revenue that information is complete.

Tax information


Find information on the OIO fees framework and the fee for a fishing quota application.

OIO fees and penalties


Find information and resources to help you apply for consent online.  We recommend you contact us if you plan to apply for consent to acquire fishing quota.


Contact the Overseas Investment Office


Fishing quota terms are defined in section 2 of the Fisheries Act 1996

Ministers determine if the consent is in the national interest under section 57H of the Fisheries Act 1996.

Consent may be declined if contrary to the national interest under section 20C of the Overseas Investment Act 2005.

Last Updated: 13 September 2021