You must accept the terms of an additional licence before you can use, reuse and share property and ownership layers that contain personal information from the LINZ Data Service.
The LINZ Licence for Personal Data includes protections for the privacy of personal information.
Please read all of the terms and conditions below, before using the licensed data. You can then visit the Owner Data - Controlled Access Group page on the LINZ Data Service to request access to start using the data.
The LINZ Licence for Personal Data has been based on the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International licence (CC BY 4.0). The main differences between the LINZ Licence For Personal Data and CC BY 4.0 are that the LINZ Licence For Personal Data includes privacy protections and may be amended in the future.
You must carefully review and agree to the full terms and conditions of the LINZ Licence for Personal Data before you can use the data.
You are free to:
- Share - copy and redistribute the data in any medium or format
- Adapt - remix, transform, and build upon the data
for any purpose, even commercially.
LINZ cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you comply with the licence terms, but LINZ may update the licence terms. If LINZ updates the licence terms then the update will apply to all previously obtained data but only if you download any new data under an updated version of the licence.
Under the following terms:
Attribution - You must give appropriate credit to LINZ, e.g. by providing a link to the licence, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests LINZ endorses you or your use.
You do not have to comply with the licence for elements of the data in the public domain or where your use is permitted by an applicable exception or limitation in the Copyright Act.
Privacy protections - As the data provided under the licence contains personal information, you must:
- comply with the Privacy Act 2020 and not cause LINZ to breach its privacy obligations
- take reasonable security safeguards to ensure the data is not misused and is not provided to third parties unless they agree to the licence
- not allow the data to be indexed by any public internet web search engine
- not use the data in unsolicited direct marketing nor in recipient lists provided by you to other parties which are likely to be used for unsolicited direct marketing. (See the full licence terms for more information)
- amend or delete the data as required by LINZ (refer Amendments and deletions)
- comply with all other applicable laws.
In addition, you may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the licence permits.
Amendments and deletions - A condition of the licence is that LINZ can require you to amend or delete the data, and ensure that third parties to whom you provided the data do the same.
However, you do not have to comply with the licence where your use is permitted by the Copyright Act. For example, the Copyright Act only restricts you from copying the whole or any substantial part of the data other than in accordance with a copyright licence. Accordingly, if you provided a non-substantial part of the data (e.g. information that pertained to a single title) to a third party, you would not need to require them to amend or delete that data.
No warranties - No warranties are given. LINZ may not give you all of the permissions necessary for your intended use. For example, other rights such as publicity, privacy, or moral rights may limit how you use the material.
Visit the LINZ Data Service to view the LINZ Licence for Personal Data 2.2.