High accuracy elevation data
The LINZ National Elevation Programme provides LiDAR-based elevation open data for much of New Zealand. This data is valuable in the public and private sectors for work including:
- land management
- natural hazards
- climate change
- 3D visualisation
Digital elevation models and point clouds are available in a nationally consistent format for part of New Zealand.
- Data is available now for the green areas in the image below.
- Data will be available soon for the solid orange areas
- The cross hatched areas are planned or currently being surveyed.
- There is no National Elevation Programme LiDAR data available or planned for the white areas.
Visit the Elevation Aotearoa site for an interactive map showing LiDAR availability, use case examples, and other information on using LiDAR data.
Seeking new data partnerships
If you hold data that could be included to improve the national dataset or are planning new LiDAR data collection projects, contact us to discuss partnership opportunities to grow and refresh this national resource.
For additional information email email@example.com
LiDAR base specification
This specification provides a foundation for New Zealand public sector LiDAR procurements. It sets minimum standards to ensure LiDAR point cloud data and digital elevation models are suitable for inclusion in the National Elevation Programme. This will facilitate easier discovery and access through central data management.
Data captured under this specification will contribute to the National Elevation Model consisting of:
- a bare earth digital elevation model (DEM)
- a digital surface model (DSM)
- the corresponding classified point cloud.