This process explains what you can do if you wish to raise a concern or complaint about LINZ or a matter under LINZ’s responsibility.

We recognise that feedback can be of benefit and used to improve our customer service and compliance with our obligations.

As part of our three core values we take personal responsibility to be better everyday.

How to make a complaint about LINZ

You can email or write to us with the details of your complaint, or contact our customer service team to discuss your concerns.

Get in touch:

Please set out your concerns as clearly as possible to help us deal with your complaint quickly. Include:

  • Your name and contact details.
  • Relevant dates, times and places
  • A description of the issue
  • Details of any prior conversations, meetings or other steps you’ve already taken.
  • Any other information you think is important and any relevant documents.

A complaint may include dissatisfaction with:

  • our actions or inaction on a matter which we are responsible for
  • the way you or someone else has been treated by a LINZ staff member
  • the way in which we meet our obligations in managing our regulatory systems
  • any other matter related to how we perform our duties, powers and functions
  • how we gather information for regulatory compliance, law enforcement or protective security functions.

What may be not considered a complaint?

Submissions concerning a decision to be made: If a complaint concerns the decision that you believe LINZ should make on a current matter, we may note that as a submission rather than treat it as a complaint about LINZ.

You can make a submission to the Overseas Investment Office about another person’s planned investment in sensitive New Zealand assets. See Making a submission about another person's planned investment.

The New Zealand Geographic Board receives submissions supporting or objecting to a proposal to discontinue, alter or make a new name official within New Zealand. See Make a submission on a place name proposal.

LINZ also invites submissions on current consultations. See Consultation.

A matter covered by a statutory process: The right to a review, rehearing or judicial review under legislation would be considered under the relevant Act. For example, an application for a rehearing under section 17 of the Land Act 1948. 

If you submit a complaint regarding a matter that we are not responsible for we will let you know promptly and assist you with an alternate course of action.

Next steps

If you have sent us a complaint via email, we will send you an acknowledgment to confirm we have received it. Otherwise we will send you a letter of acknowledgement if you have posted a letter to us.

Your complaint will be assigned to a manager in the appropriate business area to look into. The manager will contact you to seek further information from you if required.

We will respond to your complaint formally as quickly as we can. We will let you know if we need longer to look into the complaint. 

Depending on the nature of the complaint, some areas of LINZ may have a specific process to follow to resolve the complaint.

LINZ Principles

LINZ must act in accordance with law; reasonably; and fairly.

FairnessWe will look into your complaint appropriately and objectively
AccessibilityWe will provide a number of methods to submit a complaint
We will provide an overview of the process on our website
We will ensure our correspondence does not use unnecessary jargon and is helpful.
ResponsivenessWe will acknowledge your complaint promptly
We will communicate with you regarding any delays in looking into and addressing your complaint.
If your complaint identifies a weakness or problem with a LINZ policy or service we will take steps to make changes to how we work.
EfficiencyWe will address your complaint as efficiently as possible and ensure that the correct staff are involved.

If you disagree with the outcome of a complaint

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your complaint you can ask us to reconsider the matter. Please provide sufficient detail as to why you believe the complaint should be reconsidered.

You also have the right to raise your concerns with the Ombudsman or the Privacy Commissioner.

The Ombudsman can consider complaints about the administrative acts and decisions of state sector agencies. The Ombudsman will ask you if you have first tried to resolve the matter with us directly, and will also consider whether you have any other remedy available. The Ombudsman may look into your complaint and make a recommendation to us regarding the concern you have raised.

Office of the Ombudsman
Free phone: 0800 802 602
PO Box 10152
Wellington 6143

The Privacy Commissioner can consider complaints about breaches of privacy and can inquire into any matter where it appears that an individual’s privacy may be affected.

Office of the Privacy Commissioner
Free phone: 0800 803 909
PO Box 10094
Wellington 6143

Last Updated: 26 April 2019