Find out how to name a place or geographic feature in New Zealand, its offshore islands and continental shelf, and the Ross Dependency of Antarctica.
Anyone can make a place name proposal. The requirements for a name proposal differ depending on the feature or place you want to name. The New Zealand Geographic Board Ngā Pou Taunaha o Aotearoa (NZGB) considers proposals and submissions against its naming rules, criteria, standards, guidelines and policies.
Name proposal deadlines
Board hui dates and name proposal deadlines in 2022 are:
- Friday 8 April 2022, deadline Friday 11 February 2022
- Tuesday 26 July 2022, deadline Tuesday 31 May 2022
- Friday 2 December 2022, deadline Friday 7 October 2022
Proposals received after the deadline that meet minimum requirements will be processed at the next Board hui.
Committee/Komiti hui dates in 2022 are:
- Undersea Feature Names Committee, 2 February 2022
- Antarctic Names Committee, TBD
- Komiti Taunahatanga Māori, to be held the day before each Board hui, ie Thursday 7 April 2022, Monday 25 July 2022 and Thursday 1 December 2022