Find out how to name a place or geographic feature in New Zealand, its offshore islands and continental shelf, and the Ross Dependency of Antarctica.
Anyone can make a place name proposal. The requirements for a name proposal differ depending on the feature or place you want to name. The New Zealand Geographic Board Ngā Pou Taunaha o Aotearoa (NZGB) considers proposals and submissions against its naming rules, criteria, standards, guidelines and policies.
Name proposal deadlines
NZGB hui dates and name proposal deadlines in 2021 are:
- 20 April 2021, deadline 9 March 2021
- 22-23 July 2021, deadline 10 June 2021
- 20 October 2021, deadline 8 September 2021
Proposals received after the deadline that meet minimum requirements will be processed at the next NZGB hui.
Committee hui dates in 2021 are:
- Undersea Feature Names Committee, 4 February 2021
- Antarctic Names Committee, TBD in the first half of March 2021
- Māori Names Committee, to be held the day before each NZGB hui, ie 19 April 2021, 21 July 2021 and 19 October 2021