Crown reserve name proposal

Only the Department of Conservation (DOC) can propose a name for a Crown reserve in New Zealand and its offshore islands including adjacent marine areas.

These Crown protected areas include scenic reserves, scientific reserves, recreation reserves, national parks, conservation parks, wilderness areas and marine reserves.


Our proposal forms for DOC to name Crown reserves are available in English and Māori. DOC must also complete a Review and concurrence report.

These documents and resources will help DOC to complete the proposal form and Review and Concurrence report:

Contact us if you need any help. Email