As a New Zealand government department, Toitū Te Whenua (LINZ) is subject to the Privacy Act 2020. This page outlines the type and extent of information that Toitū Te Whenua may gather when you interact with the Geodetic Marks Application (App) and for what use the information may be used.
Read more about the Privacy section for the website.
- Toitū Te Whenua does not record any personal information when you use the App, unless you specifically choose to provide feedback, in which case the name, email address and the feedback content you supply will be recorded. Your email address will not be made publicly available; however the supplied name will appear in the App and in the Geodetic Database when feedback includes general comments or photographs. Any submitted feedback, particularly general comments or photographs, may be posted in the App and in the Geodetic Database for users of these services to view.
- The IP address will be recorded automatically, but is not used to personally identify specific individuals.
- The App may access your email account, for the sole purpose of enabling you to send an email to Toitū Te Whenua, if you select this option.
- The App may access your camera, for the sole purpose of enabling you to take and submit photos to Toitū Te Whenua, if you select this option.
- The App will access details of your location, to enable the mapping and navigation features of the App. This location information is not passed to or recorded by Toitū Te Whenua.
When users communicate with Toitū Te Whenua, including via email or through the feedback form on the App, Toitū Te Whenua reserves the right to:
- use the information for the purpose it was supplied;
- use the information provided about survey marks to update Toitū Te Whenua’s databases, such as Landonline and the Geodetic Database, so the provided mark information can be shared with other customers; and
- share the information with other government agencies that are entitled to the information under legislation.
- No personal information held by Toitū Te Whenua will be disclosed to other users of the App or other users of Toitū Te Whenua systems, other than the supplied name and feedback you specifically choose to supply.
- In some circumstances, Toitū Te Whenua may be required under legislation to share information with other government agencies.
- Toitū Te Whenua will not disclose any personal information collected by Toitū Te Whenua or by any other third party on Toitū Te Whenua’s behalf to any non-Toitū Te Whenua person or organisation unless required to do so by law, or without your consent.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the privacy information provided here, please contact:
Land Information New Zealand
155 The Terrace
Private Box 5501