Freedom campers are advised to familiarise themselves with new freedom camping laws which came into effect on Wednesday, 7 June.
Toitū Te Whenua manages five camping areas in the South Island. These are:
- Bendigo, Lowburn, Jacksons Inlet and Champagne Gully on the shores of Lake Dunstan in Central Otago.
- Pines Camp on the southern end of Lake Pukaki in the Mackenzie District.
The new rules established through the Freedom Camping Act apply to all our sites. At a high level, this includes certification of self-contained vehicles and infringement fees.
Campers need to be aware that fines may apply for:
- inappropriately disposing of waste
- interfering with, or damaging, the environment
- not leaving Toitū Te Whenua-administered land when required to do so by an enforcement officer.