What was proposed?
The proposal was to alter the existing name for a railway station along the new, underground twin railway line (City Rail Link) through the Auckland CBD.
- Waitematā Railway Station - at the bottom of Queen Street, Auckland, where the new City Rail Link tunnels connect to the North Island Main Trunk. NZTopo50-BA32 576210. Altering the existing unofficial name Britomart Station.
Britomart Station was altered to the official name Waitematā Railway Station.
Published in the New Zealand Gazette on 16 March 2023.
- Karanga-a-Hape Railway Station
- Maungawhau / Mount Eden Railway Station
- Te Waihorotiu Railway Station
The Board considered this proposal report at its hui on 26 July 2022. The proposals were notified for 11 weeks so that the public could make submissions supporting or objecting to them.
The Board considered this submissions report at its hui on 2 December 2022. Because the Board did not agree with the objecting submissions, it requested the Minister for Land Information to make the final determinations.
- 22 August 2022: Public feedback sought on central Auckland railway station name proposals
- 16 March 2023: New names for Auckland railway stations